Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Today I drove by one of the new community mail boxes that are sprouting up all over the city.  There were three of them and they had all been knocked off the cement foundation, the bolts completely pulled up.  Apparently this is the new form of protest.  Last week the Spectator ran an article about a young man, Howard, who stood in the hole made for these mailboxes and refused to move until the workers left.  There have been petitions, and a huge outcry of protest against the phasing out of home mail delivery.   It just proves the point that people will not pay attention to an issue until affects them directly.

Really people?  This is what you are choosing to protest?  Having to walk a short distance to pick up your mail?   Or more realistically, having to stop your car on the way home to pick up your mail.   This is so definitely a first world problem!  First of all, no one really gets much of any importance in their mailboxes anymore, if my own is any indication.  And by the way, I live in an apartment, I have to take the elevator to get my mail which is mostly ads, and flyers, and bills for accounts I already receive emails about. I have never thought of protesting that my mail doesn't come right to my apartment! Besides, it's not like you have to pick up your mail every day!

We should be grateful that it's not water we have to walk to get.  Or medications.  People in Africa who are sick with HIV or AIDS walk hours to clinics for medication that is most likely all gone by the time they get there.  People in third world countries have to walk miles and stand in line in the hot sun to get clean fresh water.  A basic necessity of life.  Their whole day revolves around getting water, and hauling it back home.  And I realize my pointing out Africa is very similar to the "eat your dinner there are children in Africa who are starving" but I stick to my point.  We are so fat and lazy and feel so entitled that the slightest inconvenience sends us in to a whiny protest.  And the outcry about seniors and the disabled not being able to get their mail?  They will figure it out.  They have to for everything else.  

What people don't seem to realize is that the community mailboxes have been around for a long time.  Many, new suburban subdivisions have this system of mail delivery. You don't hear any complaints from them.

We really need to wake up and fight for things that matter.  Clean water, and good food for EVERYONE.  A place to live for EVERYONE.  Freedom to be who they are, for EVERYONE.

Walking to the mailbox is the least of our worries right now.

1 comment:

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

I was just wondering how to protest that you haven't blogged for a week. Would that have been too frivolous!

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...