Friday, May 1, 2015

ZOUNDS! I made it! (caution , this post contains coarse language)

Swearing has become so much a part of our casual vocabulary that in a lot of cases it has lost its punch.  Swearing used to be shocking, now it is just rude.  Even children are allowed to say Oh My God! and no one bats an eye.  I used to get smacked for just saying 'shut up'.  Now I casually drop 'f-bombs' without even thinking.  I am not one of those people who has to lace my speech with an f bomb every other word, but I love that word for it's power when emotions are high.  Like when I dropped my laptop and corner of it hit my toe, there was no other word that would express the degree of pain I was in.  Well, maybe there was, but I couldn't think of it at the time.  And the word fuck lends itself quite nicely to being a verb or an adjective.

In trying to decide what to write about for the letter Z, I thought of the word Zounds!  It's an old word no one uses anymore.  So I started thinking about other archaic expletives.   Egad!  Gadzooks!   to name a few.   These expletives have religious origins, but so do a lot of our current expletives. Even fuck means From Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Imagine if we started using those words instead of the same old ones we've always used.  Imagine if those words came back in vogue.   Gadzooks!  I am late for work.  Egad! It's hot out here.  Zounds!  What a great idea!   People would probably think we were crazy.   And none of them really pack a punch like the fbomb.  Yelling Gadzooks or Zounds just makes me want to laugh.  And maybe that's a good thing,

Zounds! I can't believe I completed this challenge.  And it has been a challenge.  But I enjoyed it. And now I have a few followers so I am motivated to keep blogging.  Egad! What will I write about now?  Thank you to everyone who supported me during this challenge and especially to those who commented and began following my blog.  I hope you continue to follow me, and Gadzooks! I hope my future blogs don't disappoint.


1 comment:

EcoCatLady said...

Wait... Oh My God is considered swearing? You know, being raised by a pack of atheists, these sorts of things are still a mystery to me. "God Damn Son of a Bitch" was pretty much standard daily speech in my house. Apparently when I was 2 years old I was overheard babbling to myself in my crib. As the story goes, I was talking to myself in a sing-song voice saying: "I want a cookie. I want a cookie. God Dammit I want a cookie!"

Anyhow, I frequently use words like Egad and Gadzooks - but I had no idea they were once considered expletives. Hmmm... Never heard of "zounds" though - I may have to start using it as well.

Thanks so much for another wonderful post. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your A-Z posts and I'm so glad I discovered your blog. I hope you keep writing! :-)

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...