Monday, April 20, 2015

Quiet Please!

I have often wondered who decided that we needed to be constantly bombarded with noise day in and day out.   It seems everywhere you go there is noise.  Music, or news,or a sports game playing on a big screen, .  Even in my apartment there is music coming out of a speaker in front of the elevator on my floor,and in the lobby a television screen because how tragic would it be for me to have to be left uninformed in the brief time it takes the elevator to come. Even in the dr's office waiting room we are subjected to news being broadcast on a t.v in the waiting room.  There seems to be no escape from it.  Why is this?  Did people complain that they were bored in the waiting room or at the elevator or in the restaurants?   Don't we all have enough devices these days that we can plug in to entertain ourselves no matter where we are?  Is it too much to expect people who are eating together to actually talk to each other rather than gaze numbly at the latest headlines?

As you can probably guess, I like quiet.  I like it a lot.  My apartment is silent.  T.V is never on, unless I am watching a movie, I don't play any music, no ipod. When I am playing on line games I turn the music off.   And I like it that way.  I like music, but I always have music in my head and have no need to add to that.  I find noise distracting and as annoying and very stressful.  AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON LEAF BLOWERS!

Maybe it's that we are all afraid of our feelings. Maybe we need noise to distract us from what is going on inside ourselves.  Maybe we don't like to be alone with our thoughts.  They might make us face things we would rather not face in our own lives.  So we keep feeding our brains endless stimuli to mask that stuff.  Have you ever sat in silence?   Turned off everything in your home and just sat and listened?  You should try it.  It's amazing how relaxing it is.   When I leave a noisy place I feel my body release all of the tension I had been holding while being assaulted by noise.   And yes, even music is noise to me unless I am some place for the sole purpose of listening to music. The worst is when music is being piped in at a volume so low you can't tell what song is playing, but you can still hear it.

I was shopping at Target one Christmas and I noticed something interesting.  There was no music.  It was quiet!  And because there was no music, people who shopped there were quieter.  The whole place had a relaxed feel to it.  It was wonderful.  Costco is the same.  It is busy as hell most days and moving around in the store is a puzzle.  But the atmosphere is calm.  There is no music.  Just the sound of people shopping.

I think it would do wonders for peoples mental health to spend at least one hour a day in silence.  Not necessarily silent meditation, but just silence.  See if you feel more refreshed afterwards.

3 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I love this post. I LOVE it so much I want to marry it and have it's children. OK, not really, but you know what I mean.

I think you are exactly, 100% spot on with the thing about being afraid of our feelings. It's like our entire culture seems to be built around constant busyness and distraction... which we all complain about endlessly, but given the choice, people choose distraction every time.

I recently read about a study where people were asked to simply sit quietly in a room and be alone with their thoughts - it wasn't a long time, 20 minutes maybe. The only distraction made available to them was a device that would deliver an electric shock. I shocking percentage (yuk, yuk) of the participants chose to shock themselves rather than deal with their own thoughts for a few minutes!

And don't EVEN get me started about people on the bike path with their stupid ear buds. What is the point?!? If you want to stay safely in your little personal bubble, go to a gym!

OK, rant over.

IntrepidReader said...

Oh I could do a whole other blog about ear buds! Remember when the only people talking to themselves on the street were mentally ill (to be PC about it)?

I enjoy your comments!

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

It's great to hear someone with a similar attitude concerning noise. Yes, I think its obvious that we are addicted to distraction for fear of facing ourselves. I will go so far as to say that noise/distraction is the biggest hurdle to our species evolving to the point that we might not kill ourselves off. That's a million dollar idea but I've been doing a lot of research for a long time.

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...