Monday, April 6, 2015

Extrovert? or Introvert?

If you are ever at a party and the conversation is lagging, just ask this simple question.  Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?  It is guaranteed to spark an emotional, sometimes heated discussion.  I don't know why this question hits such a nerve with people.  The funny thing about it is, no one really wants to admit they are extroverts!  

The simplest way to find out where you fall in the Introvert/Extrovert scheme of things is to ask yourself this question.  When you have had a bad day at work, what would rather do, go home alone and take some time to process your day, or go out with friends and let loose with a few drinks.  Introverts, for the most part, will want to go home.  Extroverts will want to go out.  It's all about what recharges your batteries.  If social occasions leave you feeling energized, and you seek out the company of others when the chips are down, you are an Extrovert, if social occasions leave you drained, then you are an Introvert.

And then there are the "gregarious introverts".  I heard that term on the CBC but I can't remember who said it.   These are people who are bubbly, and talkative and friendly, but who desperately need to be alone afterwards to recharge.  I fall in to that category.  And sometimes we are all like that.  We can be introverts who are channeling our extrovert qualities or vice versa.   And I realize while I am writing this that labels are limiting and sometimes unfair.  But this is a topic that engenders so much discussion, I really wanted to write about it.  Besides we would be kidding ourselves if we held the belief that we should never label anyone.  Labeling is what helps us understand the world in concrete terms.  At least that is how it for me.  Anyway, back to the topic at hand

One thing I have noticed in groups where this question comes up, is how defensive people get when they are told they are Extroverts.   Why is that?   What is it about being a people person that some people don't want to admit being that way?  I have a theory.   We all want to be dark and mysterious.  We seem to take pleasure in giving people the impression that we have a deeper side no one ever gets to see.  We don't want to be that person who has to be the centre of attention.  We don't want to admit that we NEED PEOPLE.  It's a vulnerable place to be.  Far safer to be that person that people are trying to draw out.


I realize I am generalizing here.  And I am not an expert on any of this.  This post is just my own personal observations on what can be a very heated topic.

Are you and Introvert or an Extrovert.  Please comment and tell me your experience with this.

2 comments:

May Cho said...

Hi!

I completely agree with you; most people I know refuse to admit that they are extroverts and would, instead, settle for a vague "introvert with extrovert tendencies."

I myself am like you; a gregarious introvert!

BLOG | BOOK BLOG | BLOGLOVIN | TWITTER

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

I was an introverted teenager because I was shy and lacking confidence in social circumstances. Later I gained confidence and became very outgoing and friendly. I don't know if I can be categorized very easily. My solitude and the importance of reflection is critical in my life. Yet I can be very talkative depending on the situation. I'm very different in different settings. One thing is - I have a great tendency to trust introverts and a tendency to hold extroverts at arms length. I'm instinctively very discriminating that way. Not that extroverts can't be great people.... But I expect introverts to be smarter frankly, because I'm convinced the most valuable learning comes from observation and reflection!

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...