Wednesday, April 1, 2015

ART

My journey into the art world was a bit rocky.  When I was a child my father was always frustrated with my ability to colour between the lines.  He would holler at me and take away my colouring book till I learned how to do it right.   When I went to kindergarten I remember learning the "proper" way to colour.  Side to side, not all scribbly.  And eventually I learned to colour between the lines.

During my school years I came to realize that while I loved doing artistic things, my abilities were limited.  I thought my products were great, but the teacher unfortunately did not share my opinion and would often hold up my art as an example of what NOT to do. Following directions was not my forte.  My pictures never graced the walls of the classroom.  By the time I was in highschool I had suppressed my inner artist  and focused on my true talents, music and creative writing.

And then when I was in my early 50's my partner joined a senior's art class at the church we attended. A group of seniors meets every Friday afternoon to paint.  My inner artist woke up and insisted that I join as well.  I had always imagined myself in front of an easel painting glorious fields of flowers, vibrant sunsets and life like portraits.  So, off I went to the class.  I expected to just dabble around and have fun.  But to my utter surprise, and the surprise of friends and family, I discovered that I was actually pretty good!  And I LOVED it.  Now three years in, I am still enjoying the class and I have amassed quite an impressive (size wise) body of work.   All with vibrant colours.  I love to mix colours and spend a lot of time trying to get just the right shade.  

I am unable to draw from my imagination, so I rely on pictures for my inspiration.  Flowers are my favourite things to paint and I have done a few Georgia O'Keefe's, after O'Keefe's they say in the biz.  I am always amazed at what I can make happen.  My technique is to just let go of the inner critic and go for it.  So far that has worked well for me.  I spend 1.5 each week totally lost in what I am doing.  It's a feeling like no other.

So..if you are a person who loves art, and has always wanted to try painting, but are afraid you aren't good because of childhood art class trauma, I urge you to give it another chance.  You might be surprised. 

I know I was.

4 comments:

Deborah Weber said...

Oh how fun you've been able to unleash your artist self and bask in the joy of creating!

Kern Windwraith said...

That's a stunning painting--simply exquisite. What an inspiring post. I was pretty horrible at art wen I was younger, but hmmmm...maybe I should pick up a paintbrush sometime and see if it feels a bit better in my hand now that I've aged a few decades. :)

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

My high school art class experiences were similar. I always caught hell for not following directions. God forbid I be creative. I was so glad to read that your inner artist woke up again! Mine has not but I would like it to. Maybe you can give me some lessons!

Luana Krause said...

I am so loving your blog! I love to paint as well. Your O'Keefe is beautiful.

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...