Sunday, April 12, 2015

Joy in the world

When I decided to become my authentic self about 12 years ago, a lot of things in my life changed.  All the pieces my own personal puzzle fell in to place and suddenly my life made sense. It was like a huge burden off my shoulders.   But the most amazing thing that happened was that I discovered in myself an amazing capacity for joy. Even the word "joy" can cause feelings of joy to rise up in me.  I call it the awakening of my inner child, because the joy is very child like.

To me, joy can be defined as short spurts of true happiness.  Joy is often unexpected.  It's a surprise. Walking outside at this time of year, there are many joyful things.  Crocuses, snowdrops, robins, buds on the trees.   When I see those things a surge of well being flows through my body and I want to shout.  I believe that joy is too intense to be sustained long term, and that's what differentiates it from happiness.

Without the burden of my angst about my sexuality, I was able to pay more attention to the world around me.   There is always a reason to feel joy, every day.  On top of the obvious things, like watching my granddaughters play, or listening to good music, or even singing.  The first taste of an ice cream cone, having a bird or squirrel eat out of my hand, a sighting of an unusual bird, the smell of fresh cut grass,  a good joke shared with friends.

I think it's important in a world that is being presented by the media as troubled, and endangered, and on the brink of destruction, that we look for those moments of joy and embrace them.  It's what keeps us going, it's what keeps hope alive.

1 comment:

EcoCatLady said...

What a beautiful post! I think you've inspired me to go outside and enjoy the birds singing for a few minutes!

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...