Friday, April 3, 2015

Comedy lives here

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have a great sense of humour.  I love to laugh, and I love to make people laugh.  I gravitate towards funny people and a sense of humour is an absolute must in a relationship.   You could be the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person, but if you can't laugh, I am sorry, I just can't relate to you.  Sound harsh?  Perhaps.  But I speak from experience.  I have been around humourless people and it is a drag.   And I am not talking about people who can tell jokes, or who find my corny jokes funny.  I am talking about people who can look at life in a humourous way no matter the situation. People who can see the light side, and roll with the punches. I firmly believe that any situation can be improved by injecting a little humour in to it.  When a situation is awkward or tense, my go to position is to make a smart ass remark to cut the tension.   This is not always appropriate, and I am learning...very slowly...that there is a time and place for that sort of behaviour.  Although now that I am in my mid 50's I am tempted to say Fuck it, life is just a big joke.

 My humour can be sardonic, or dry or deadpan and I love to play with words.  Often when I meet someone for the first time they are not sure of me, if I am being serious or if I am joking.  Comedy and laughter  has carried me through many, many dark times in my life.  And I have to admit that I often use it as a defense.  I am very shy, though most people don't know that, because I am often being silly.  I make myself comfortable by putting a barrier of laughter between my real feelings and other people.

Because of my love of laughter I am a huge fan of stand up comedy.  I thoroughly enjoy it and watch it as often as I can.  Thanks to You Tube and NetFlix I can indulge myself frequently.  And now there is a radio station here in Hamilton that airs stand up comedy all day long.  I can laugh my ass off sitting in traffic listening to Funny 820 (AM radio station).  And I like most types of humour, from family friendly Jim Gaffigan, to outrageously inappropriate Louis CK.   I am not a fan of slapstick Three Stooges type humour and yet I love the Epic Fail videos that are so popular on the internet.  I love to laugh at people,but I laugh at myself as well.  Does that make it okay?  I don't know, really.   But I am a kind person and would never intentionally hurt anyone.

I think we need more comedy in our daily lives.  It seems that everyone is taking themselves WAY too seriously these days.  Tammy Pescatelli says "find the funny, it's there, you just have to look for it".  And she's right, it is there.   Find it.  Your life will be so much more fun!

2 comments:

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

I listen to 820 as well. Great stuff. And I also believe that humour is a useful component of all aspects of life. Sometimes people choose to take things in the worst possible light (secretly relishing conflict I believe) and every now and then give me a little shit for being "inappropriate" but I disregard them!

Mee Magnum said...

Oh my gosh, if we can't laugh... if I couldn't laugh... especially at myself, I would go out of my mind!

--Mee (The Chinese Quest)

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...