Friday, May 4, 2018

StoryADay#4 40 minute timer

My name is Larry and I am 6 years old.   I am a white cat, with a blue eye and a green eye and a pink nose, and ears.  I've been told that's what got me adopted into my forever home.    In the shelter I let everyone believe I was deaf.  And so they told my mommies that I was deaf.   But they have the most delicious treats at their place and I run every time I hear the bag.  So that kind of blew my cover.   But it's okay.   They still kept me.   I love both of my mommies, but I think I like B the best.    She is really comfortable to sleep on.  C is too, but she often has a machine on her lap and it doesn't leave much room.  
So, I want to tell you about my typical day.
As soon as I hear voices in the morning I run in and help B and C wake up.   They like it when I walk all over them and try to get in between them.  I like to chew B's hair, it's really quite delicious.   Charlie doesn't like me to walk on her, she says it hurts.   (I think Charlie secretly doesn't like me because I am white, I often hear her say "You'd be cuter if you were black and white..."  she says she's joking, but...truer words are spoken in jest right?  But she is good to me.).  If they don't get up right away I leave the room and then come running down the hall really fast and onto the bed and off the other side and I finish with a climb halfway up the wall.    They seem to love this and it sometimes works to get them moving.   B gets up first because she has a job.   I might go back to bed, or I might hang out with C till she gets up. 
Breakfast time is my favourite time of day.   B puts my kibble in my bowl and gives me fresh water before she goes to work.   But it's when C gets up that I love.    She comes down and makes her breakfast while I chat to her and do stretches up the side of the cupboard.    She always talks back to me, mostly asking me what I want, even though I know she knows.   Sometimes she tells me to be quiet, which hurts my feelings but I know I can be annoying.   Besides, I never listen to her.  I don't have to, I'm a cat.  As soon as she puts her breakfast in the microwave I know my turn is coming.   C takes the treats out of the cupboard and shakes some into her hand.   She throws a few around the room for me to chase and then puts the rest on top of my scratching post and I have to reach for them.   It's so much fun!  And delicious too.
After breakfast, I sit in front of the back door that leads out to the patio.  There's a bunch of birds and squirrels out there that demand a lot of attention.    And sometimes SHE comes by to visit.   SHE is a beauty, silky black fur, big green eyes.   I long to touch her and smell her, but I am an "indoor cat" and never get to go outside.   But SHE will lie under the garden bench and we stare at each other through the glass.   Meowing our love for one another and bemoaning our doomed love.   I know that neither of my mommies understands what it's like to be so in love and they will never let me out there, or let her in.
Once my duty is done at the door, I wander around the house to see what C is doing, if she is home.   She doesn't know I watch her...from behind chairs and in the stairwell.   But she really doesn't do anything that interesting.    Sometimes though, she goes into the basement and I love to follow her.   B doesn't let me down there, but C usually doesn't mind.   I love it in the basement, so many smells, and little places to hide.   AND, if I come right back up when C calls me, I know there might be another treat.   Sometimes, I don't want to come even if the mommies are calling me and calling me.  But I am learning that if I don't come, they may close the door and I will be stuck down there for a long time.   And there is definitely no treat when they open the door at those times.
I sleep a lot.  And I like to vary my sleeping areas.   I have a great bed at the top of the stairs where I spend most of my time.   But sometimes I like to pick random spots for a nap.   Like the middle of the living room floor, or under a bed, or on top of  B, or beside C.   I like to vary my sleeping positions too.  My favourite is to lie on my back with my back legs crossed and my front paws tucked in.   Apparently, I look adorable.   C likes to take pictures of me in my various sleeping positions...it's kind of embarrassing really.   I mean a guy needs his privacy. 
Lately, I have had a craving for material ...like shoelaces...or bras and t-shirts.  I don't know what it is about them.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I really like shoelaces that are old and still in the shoes.   B gave me some of my own to chew, but it's not the same.   Now C puts her shoes on the tray upside down so I can't get at the laces, or she puts them in the closet.   So does B.  They get angry when I chew their stuff.   They don't really let me have any fun.  But I can't seem to stop myself.  
At night I like to go to bed at the same time as B.   Sometimes C stays up later and I keep B company till C comes to bed.  I am also warming up C's side of the bed too.   I have to get out of the way quickly though or C will just lie right down on me!   She can be a bit rude sometimes!   But she is the one who gives me the most treats so I love her anyway.
It's a pretty good life here.   Certainly better than when I was on the street.   I know I am always going to be warm and fed, and that nothing is going to chase me or hurt me.   I get lots of petting and cuddling.    Sometimes C lets me help her with her knitting but she gets mad if I am too helpful.  But even when she is mad, she is still kind. 
 I met some other cats in the shelter.  I didn't really like them, they made me nervous because I didn't know what they were going to do.  Other cats on the street were not very nice and would hurt me, or steal my food.   The cats at the shelter seemed okay, but I kept my distance.   Still, I hope someday they all find homes that are as special as mine.


No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...