Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Singers Gotta Sing

Last night I went to karaoke night at the local LGBT bar.  It's a new place in town and has a really warm welcoming atmosphere.  I hadn't done karaoke in a long time. And I really love it.  It's one of my favourite nights out.  The people there are just out to have some fun and make some music.  Most of the time there is no competition.  It's not about that.

There are many different kinds of karaoke people.

The lonely guy who comes every night and sings, and sits at a table by himself.   I always imagine this guy going on a dating site and telling women he is a singer in a bar.  

The wannabe rock star who gets up there and does all the things they think you need to do to be a rock star, hair tossing, head banging,air guitar, whatever. They are total legends in their own mind.    Sometimes they can sing, often not.

The amazing singer who just hasn't gotten a break yet, or doesn't think they are amazing, or doesn't want to make a career of it.  Those are the ones that make others afraid to go up and sing.  The ones no one wants to follow.  The ones everyone wants to be like.

The tipsy singer who is up there on a dare, spurred on by their equally tipsy fans.  Again sometimes they can sing sometimes not.

The "hobo" singer.  That guy who looks like he just came in off the street.  Ragged, dirty, slightly drunk.  And he brings the house down with his fabulous voice. Shy, nerdy looking people also fit in to this category but are much tidier.

The terrified singer who is going up for the first time.  Trembling voice, shaking, sweating, and then, after the first few bars, the bug bites them and they are totally into it and hooked forever.

The average singer.  This is most of the people who do karaoke, myself included.  I have a good voice, I can hold a tune, and I am good enough to sing solos in my choir.  But not good enough for a career as a singer and I don't want that.  I just like to sing.  Into a mike.  I like the adrenaline rush, I like the way my voice sounds in the mike.  Especially after a couple of drinks...of course that might be a bit of  delusion on my part.

When you first get there, it's pretty tame.  People aren't drunk yet.  The better singers go up then and sing the classics.   But as the night wears on the fun really starts.  That's when you see most of those types of singers.  That's when you might see a drunk guy go up and sing "Tequila" which basically consists of standing there for the whole song, shouting Tequila!  downing the shot and stumbling to their table.  All inhibitions are dropped.  After midnight things get weird, but until then it's great.

If you love watching people, want to have a good time and want to do something really exciting and daring, that doesn't involve heights and harnesses, try karaoke.  I highly recommend it.






No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...