Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Story A Day #4 Eden Yarn

Eden Yarn

Of the things that could go wrong while crocheting, opening a portal had seemed like a low probability. But I have a story to tell that will make you rethink everything you ever thought about how you should live your lives.

It all started when I ran out of yarn halfway through my fifteenth afghan.  I had been crocheting up a storm since being forced to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic.  I had so much time on my hands and decided to use the time to crochet afghans for children who were going into foster care.  It was important that they have something of their very own during a traumatic time.  It was a cause close to my heart.  But there I was with no yarn and no end in sight to this forced isolation.

I went online to see if I could order some yarn that was made in Canada and that I could have delivered quickly.   It was difficult to find a place that wasn’t based in China and I knew that could take weeks to arrive.  Feeling hopeless and frustrated I almost gave up when an ad caught my eye.  A place called Eden Yarn Company based in Canada promised same-day delivery and free shipping.  It sounded to good to be true.  Everything I wanted and more?  I was skeptical, but I was desperate and desperate won out.   I ordered a whole bunch of balls of yarn from their amazing selection and waited.   My doorbell rang one hour later!  There on my front porch was a small package from the Eden Yarn company.  While I was thrilled to have received it so quickly this certainly wasn’t the dozen balls of yarn I ordered.

Opening the package revealed one solitary ball of yarn.  But what a ball it was.  A green so bright and pure it almost glowed, I couldn’t wait to start crocheting with it.  Then my eye caught sight of a slip of paper inside the packaging.  It was a note that read

             This package contains all that you need.
              Trust Us.

All that I need?  One ball of yarn?  I shrugged and made myself comfortable in my chair and began to crochet with my new ball of yarn.   A few stitches later I started to feel very strange.   The yarn was shimmering before my eyes and I felt like I was going to faint.   I stopped crocheting and decided there must be some sort of chemical on the yarn that I was having a reaction to.   Disappointed I realized I would have to send the yarn back and ask for a refund.   I picked up the package it had come in and put the yarn back in.   At least I tried to put the yarn back in but I couldn’t.   It clung to my hand as though it was glued there.  No matter how I tried I couldn’t let go of the yarn.   I know it sounds strange, but wait, it gets better.

As I tried to put the yarn back in the package I was overcome with the urge to continue crocheting.  I can’t explain it, but it was an irresistible feeling and I found myself continuing to crochet and a sense of peace came over me, the likes of which I had never felt.  And then I felt myself disappearing.  Things started to turn dark, and I felt myself fade away into oblivion.

When I came to I was in a beautiful, lush garden.  It was the most glorious place I had ever seen.  Every kind of flower, every kind of tree and plant existed in this place.  There was wildlife everywhere, squirrels and a wild array of birds, rabbits, skunks,  raccoons and deer…you name it it was there.  And they were all living harmoniously with each other.  For some reason I wasn’t afraid, I felt an overwhelming happiness come upon me.   I looked down at myself and was astonished to see that I was naked.  And not only was I naked I was perfect.   Suddenly here I was at 60 years old with the body I had been striving for all of my adult life.  No sags, or bags, or wrinkles, or cellulite.  Noticing a pond nearby I walked over and looked at my reflection in the water.  I was beautiful.  I was perfect.  I looked like I had when I was 20, only better.  What was this place?  What was I doing here?  Was I dreaming?  I had no idea what to do now.   Then I heard a voice behind me.

“Welcome, Vivian.  So nice to see you.”  The voice was soft and pleasant.

I turned around and saw a beautiful woman standing there, also naked.  I couldn’t stop staring at her she was so perfect.  How did she know my name?

“Where am I? What is this place?”  I managed to ask.

“You are in Eden. The Eden of the future. My name is Eve”  She said as if she had said Toronto.
“Eden?? Like the garden of Eden? And you’re Eve? Where are Adam and the serpent?”   This just kept getting stranger and stranger.

“This is the future Eden.  We aren’t in biblical times.  This is post COVID-19 Eden.”   She moved her arm in a sweeping gesture towards all the glory around us.  “Would you like a tour?”  she asked.

“Uh…sure…but shouldn’t I be…dressed?”   I felt silly asking since she was also naked.

“Oh, we don’t wear clothes here.  Fabric causes so much pollution to our earth” she explained

“But don’t you get cold..or wet when it rains? What about winter?” I was totally confused.

“How do you like the weather today?” she asked.

The weather was perfect.  It was just the right temperature and there was just enough breeze to keep it comfortable.  It was like a June day in the world she lived in.

“It’s perfect.  But it can’t always be like this…can it?” it seemed anything was possible here.

“It is.  We chose this particular weather and it stays this way because there is no industry that affects the weather patterns.  It rains at night while we are sleeping.  Everything here is interconnected.  We do have winter, but we stay inside during that season.  Winter is necessary for our environment to rest and rejuvenate, and that’s what we do too…we…hibernate.  Come with me. “   She led me over to a strange looking vehicle, like something from the Jetsons. 

“Is this what everyone gets around in?”  I asked
.
“Oh no, just the Drivers like me and we only use it to conduct tours. Hop in and put on your seatbelt”.   I sat there stunned as we lifted off the ground and started to fly.  I hadn’t noticed any propeller or heard any engine, just a soft whoosh.

“It’s a hovercraft.” She explained.  “It is propelled by forced air.  Much easier on the infrastructure and it uses solar power so no fossil fuels.”

When she said that I realized I hadn’t seen any roads.  In fact, I hadn’t seen anything except lush green garden and wildlife.   As the craft carried us over the land I noticed there were no skyscrapers or old abandoned buildings.  No factories, no freeways. While I took in all that I saw Eve began to explain what I was seeing.

She told me that after COVID-19 which had wiped out almost the entire population of the world, the people who survived decided they never wanted to go through that again.  Severe weather had destroyed the planet forcing those remaining to rebuild.  And they did rebuild.  It took decades but they had finally created the planet God had made them.   Everything was sustainable.   There were no cars, only hover crafts and solar-powered rapid transit.   Anyone who wanted to go anywhere could use their cell phone, also solar powered to call for a hovercraft, or they could use the rail, but most people either cycled or walked to where they wanted to go.

There were no skyscrapers because there weren’t enough people to inhabit them.   All the homes were made of natural materials as was everything else in this place.

“What do you do here? For jobs and stuff like that.”  I asked, too stunned by the beauty of it all to really take it all in.

“Most of us work at home on our computers. We don’t have factories anymore.  Most of our manufacturing occurs in highly technical 3D printing facilities”

Eve told me I had seen enough for one day and we headed back to the garden I had appeared in.  We set down gently and I got out of the hovercraft.  I felt like I had been in a dream.   It was all so beautiful and I had so many questions.

“I have so many questions,” I said.  “Can I bring my family here…my friends?”

“Oh no, you can’t stay here,” Eve said laughing kindly.   “This is just a preview for you.   To show what your world can become.  And you have to go back and do all that you can to make this happen.   You will never forget your time here and it will be hard for you to get anyone to believe you saw all of this.  But you have to convince them, and you have to get them to act before it’s too late. The time is right for them to hear this, people are taking notice in ways they never have before.  The COVID-19 has been a warning call that most people are listening to.   Go home, and take advantage of this time.   There are others like you that have been here.  Find them and you can work together.”

Eve touched my hand and suddenly I was back in my living room, holding my ball of yarn.   I tried to crochet a bit and see if I could go back, but nothing happened.  It was just a ball of yarn now.  My doorbell rang and there was a big box from the Eden Yarn Company.  It was the rest of the yarn I had ordered.

I swear to you that this is all true.  I went to Eden and returned with a message for all of you.  Listen.  Believe.  And act.  Don’t ignore what I am telling you.   Eden awaits our children and grandchildren if we do what needs to be done.





No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...