Sunday, May 17, 2020

Story A Day # 14 Flying


Flying

It had been an exhausting and stressful trip.  Pam was not an easy person to travel with, always disorganized and addled, losing papers, tickets, her wallet frequently and with a meltdown each time.   Finally, we got on the plane and I looked forward to a few hours of peace and quiet till we arrived at our destination in the Dominican Republic.   We were flying down with the whole family for my son’s wedding and while I was excited I was also anxious because there was a lot of tension in my family and also because of the ongoing tension and drama of my relationship with Pam.  I prayed nothing would go wrong on the flight.

My prayers, however, went unanswered.   There was severe turbulence a few times which sent me over the edge in panic, although I tried not to show it because it would set Pam off.   I gripped my seat, white-knuckled and tried to comfort myself with the knowledge that if the plane went down at least my whole family was with me.   Pam kept muttering “we’re gonna die, I just know it!” which did not help matters.

Eventually, the turbulence ended and they were able to serve us dinner.  We ordered the lasagna and Pam got her glass of red wine.  The food was nothing to write home about but it was edible.  I was desperate for the bathroom and since I had the window seat Pam had to stand up holding her plate of food so that I could get by, the look on her face telling me what she thought of me waiting till we had our food.  But there was no room in the aisle to get to the bathroom while they were serving.  I really hated flying. 

As I inched past her and headed down the aisle I heard Pam sneeze.  And then curse.  I didn’t want to turn around because I had a feeling about what just happened.  But I did turn around and slapped my hand over my mouth to keep from bursting out laughing.  There was Pam, splattered head to toe in tomato sauce and lasagna, looking furious.  Her sneeze had coincided with a slight lurch of the plane and her plate had flown up into her face.  I had to make a decision to come to her rescue or go tend to my increasingly desperate need for the toilet.   I chose the latter and asked a flight attendant to help Pam.   Sitting on the toilet I laughed till my sides hurt.   The look on her face!  That poor woman!  Everything happened to her.  

Once I had myself under control I went back to our seats and Pam wasn’t there.  I figured she had gone to the other bathroom to clean up.  It was obvious we could not sit in our tomato sauce covered seats so the flight attendant showed me another place for me to sit.   Pam came back from the bathroom, her clothes badly stained and her mood thunderous.  The rest of the flight passed in silence and without incident. 

We landed and were headed through customs when Pam realized she didn’t have her passport.  She had a meltdown right there in the airport.  It was the last straw.   I suggested it might still be on the plane so we had to find someone and ask them if we could go back on the plane and look for it.  Trying to explain this to someone who didn’t speak English was an ordeal in itself.   They could not understand why these two women, one in hysterics, wanted to get back on the plane.   At last we made ourselves understood and one of the staff went back on the plane and found her passport.   We were very lucky.
 
The rest of our trip was without incident and we actually had a very good time.   I refused to travel with Pam ever again, it was way too stressful and I wasn’t much of a traveller anyway.   We ended our relationship shortly after that.  But I still get a chuckle when I think of her standing there with her dinner all over the place.

No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...