Monday, May 25, 2020

Story A Day #22 Impaired


I am going to tell you the story about the one and only time I ever drove while impaired.  It’s a cautionary tale to be sure.  But it’s also a story about how even the best intentions can go off the rails when you are madly in love with someone who doesn’t care.

The night of Brad’s party I had no intention of drinking.  I wanted to keep a clear head so as not to make a fool of myself in front of him…again.  Too many times I had thrown myself at his feet in a drunken plea to get back together with me.  I was done with that I told myself and tonight I would show him how cool I could be.  As added security for my sobriety, I agreed to pick up my friend Anne and take her with me. 

We were both in good spirits as we drove to the party.   Anne had recently broken up with her loser of a boyfriend and was looking forward to scoping out the available guys at the party.   I was feeling good because I knew the evening was not going to end in tears and snot as usual.  Besides, Brad’s parties were always fun.  He lived out in the boonies in a small house on a sprawling piece of property.   The nearest neighbour was far enough away that parties did not disturb them.   There was always a bonfire and really good music.   And lots of alcohol and pot.  Not that I cared about that anymore. 

I had taken a lot of time with my appearance and I knew I looked hot and I knew Brad felt the same when he saw me as we arrived at the party.  I was cool to him and headed out to the backyard and greeted everyone I knew.  The party was in full swing, the music blaring and people dancing in various states of inebriation.   I grabbed a Coke and found a seat around the fire.   Anne was busy “working” the room and I was content to just sit and watch the action for now.  No one was really paying much attention to me, but I was okay with that.   I just chilling.   Brad came outside and came and sat beside me. 

“Hey you, lookin' hot tonight!”  he said, putting his hand on my leg.

This was a typical Brad move, come on strong and sexy and then when I softened and responded, he would cool off immediately.  It made me crazy but I couldn’t seem to stay away from him.  I fooled myself into believing he was only like that with me.  That I was special.   Well tonight he would find out I couldn’t be played with.

I gave him a cold stare and got up and moved to another spot.   I expected he would follow me and continue to pester me, but he just moved on to someone else.   It hurt.  I didn’t want it to, but it did.   I tried to engage in some of the hilarity of the evening but my heart wasn’t in it and I was constantly looking around to see if Brad was watching me and eating his heart out.   But he wasn’t.   He was with Anne!   How could she??   I felt the anger and betrayal boil up in me and I sat by myself and sulked for a while, watching them and wishing them dead.

A little while later I was back at the fire and just watching it burn. I wanted to go home but I didn’t want to give Brad the satisfaction of seeing me leave early.   As I was sitting there I smelled the beautiful intoxicating smell of good pot and before long a joint was passed to me.   I took a couple of hits of the joint.  It was early, a couple of hints wouldn’t hurt.  I was still in control, just a bit more mellow.   Shane came over and sat with me and we talked for a while.  I liked Shane, but only as a friend.   We had been friends for years, since were kids actually, and I knew Shane wanted more but I just didn’t feel that way.    He was too nice.   And too available.  

I was enjoying the mild buzz and the music and pretty soon I forgot all about Brad and Anne.    Shane brought me a glass of wine.  I was about to refuse, remembering my promise to myself, but I was feeling good and in control and I figured one glass of wine would be okay.  If I didn’t feel I could drive I would just crash here at Brad’s.  Lots of us did that when we’d had a few too many.   The wine went down quickly and before I knew it I was flying high and flirting outrageously with my dear friend Shane.  I caught a glimpse of Brad watching us and I ramped up my efforts to make him jealous.  At one point I planted a big kiss on Shane’s mouth, which he willingly returned.   When we broke apart I saw Brad heading into the house with my friend Anne.  

That was it.  I wanted to go and confront them, but I really had no reason or grounds to make a fuss.  Brad and I were broken up and had been for three months.  I had no claim on him.    When Shane grabbed me for another kiss I realized I was losing control of the situation and decided I needed to go home.

“You can’t leave!  You’re not fit to drive, Jenny.  Stay here with me until you come down a bit.”   Shane pleaded as I stormed to my car.  Anne could find her own way home. 

“I’m fine.  Just leave me alone!  I don’t need you or anyone else to tell me what to do! I’m just a bit buzzed, I’m not drunk…”  I said getting into my car. 

Shane made another valiant attempt to stop me but I was determined to leave and he had to get out of the way or risk being run over.

I sped out of Brad’s driveway and onto the roadway and I realized I was definitely too drunk to be behind the wheel.   But there was no way I was going to go back there and be humiliated.  I decided if I just kept to the speed limit, and made sure the white line stayed to my left, I would be fine.  It wasn’t a long drive home and I would take the back road home. 

My memory of the drive is mostly a blur.  At one point I must have gone through a McDonald’s drive-thru because I found myself eating fries.  The last thing I remember was turning down the winding road that led to my neighbourhood and feeling the thrill of the turns as I took them like a pro.   And then nothing.

I woke up a few days later.  My parents were there and told me I had hit a tree going 5o km/hour, there were no tire marks, I hadn’t even slowed down.  The airbags had saved my life.  They cried as they told me about my injuries and I cried with them and begged them to forgive me for being so stupid.

It was by the grace of God that I didn’t kill anyone that night.  If Anne had been with me, it would have been a whole different story.   I know I will never, ever, drive drunk again. I learned a lesson that changed my life. Because when I left the hospital, it was in a wheelchair.




No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...