Friday, April 3, 2020

Covid-19


Covid-19

My AtoZ challenge theme is memories.   I am trying to write my memoirs and thought writing a memory for each letter of the alphabet would be a good way to get some content for that.  But I made that choice a few weeks ago before the world changed.   Before COVID-19 blind sided us.  And suddenly, my heart is just not in it.   I can’t write my memories when my present is causing me so much distress.  So, I am departing from my theme and writing about what life is like now.  And eventually these entries will find their way into my memoirs as memories.    At least that is my hope.

For a long time, I have felt that the world is a powder keg just waiting to explode.  I have been waiting for a major disaster to happen.  The feeling that we just can’t keep going the way we are is pervasive and unsettling.  I wasn’t sure what it would be but I had some ideas.  A terrorist attack or the crazy man in the White House deciding to declare war on Canada for some bizarre reason.  Or maybe a natural disaster like the one in Australia.   I imagined what would happen if the escarpment caught fire destroying the Golden Horseshoe. Sometimes I felt the disaster would be personal rather than global.   The Skyway would collapse while I was driving over it, or I would imagine a truck blowing up or a tire flying off as I drove past.  My mind would play out many scenarios.  I talked to my therapist about this and she assured me that it was my anxiety talking and increased my medication.  However,  no amount of medication could silence that voice inside me that warned of impending disaster. I could feel it in my bones.

But nothing in my imagination included a virus.  I have read Stephen King’s novel The Stand about a virus that wiped out humanity.  Surely that couldn’t really happen I told myself, because we have medications…antibiotics and vaccines that would make it impossible.   Even when I heard about corona virus in Wuhan I didn’t imagine it would come here and affect us here in Canada.  It just wasn’t on my radar.

And then it came here.    And it came hard and it came fast.  It took people by surprise.  No one was really taking it seriously until it became too hard to contain.  Now here we are 3 weeks into a global pandemic that has changed the way we live.   We have been told not to leave our houses.  To stay inside and only be with people who live in the same house as us.   We can’t go to a park, we can’t go for a walk, we can’t take a drive.  The idea is that by doing this, it will reduce the spread of the virus and save lives.  Maybe so.  But there are as many repercussions to doing this as there are to just letting the virus run its course. The numbers of sick and dying are climbing every day and it gets closer to home.

People are scared and people are panicking.   They are hoarding groceries, looking at others with suspicion and fear, and judging people by their race because the virus originated in China.   People of Asian descent are living in fear.  It’s crazy.

At the same time, people are coming together in ways they never have before.   They are reaching out by phone calls, video calls and even drive bys (although that has become a no-no too).  People are helping those less fortunate by buying groceries and checking in daily on the ones who are isolated.  There is a lot of good out there.   There is kindness and there is hope.   I try to focus on that and not on the scary statistics and crazy politicians who are in charge.
I want to write more.  There is so much to process.  Maybe I can work through it a letter at a time.   I am doing okay so far.  I love my partner and she is easy to be with so we are not getting on each other’s nerves.  We have lots of food, and I have lots of hobbies.  I have no problem staying home.  I am in touch with my friends by video and that works for me.   I am safe and I am healthy.   But I am scared.  For so many reasons, I am very scared.




No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...