Friday, April 10, 2020

Innovation and Inequality


Innovation and Inequality

Two things have really stood out for me during this pandemic and after spending most of the day trying to decide which one to write about I decided to write about both.  Both of the topics fit with today’s letter I.   Innovation and Inequality.   The innovation I have seen from people who are struggling to cope and the inequality of the suffering amongst people who are all battling the same virus.

When I was young I hated to play with broken toys or play games with missing pieces.  The lack of perfection just ruined the play value.  Even if I improvised the missing piece it was just never the same.  But at some point in my life, I learned that I really liked to think outside the box.  It started during my training as an Early Childhood Educator where creativity is a very good skill to have, and really came out when I was a single parent with three young children and very little money.   I had to make do and improvise a lot and I got good at it.  I pride myself on my resourcefulness and ability to problem solve.  It’s like putting a puzzle together.   I look at a situation to see why it’s not working.  What is this situation or piece of equipment missing, what does the same thing and can be used instead?  Today was a perfect example. 

I have been battling terrible headaches caused by weather changes and something wrong in my neck.  This morning I saw an ad for a neck hammock that can provide traction to ease the pain.  It is exactly what I need to help with my pain.  But it is expensive and only available online, and with shipping, taxes and the exchange on the US dollar, it put it right out of my budget.   And then I looked at it closely and realized I could make one.   It was basically a bungee cord and something to hold the head.   I came up with the idea of attaching bungee cords to a fanny pack.  With Belinda’s help, in a short while, I had my neck hammock.  I felt very satisfied.  I had been innovative and had solved a problem

This is why I am so impressed with the innovation I have seen in people as they cope with this pandemic lockdown.  People have found innovative ways to stay connected with each other.  Drive-by birthday parties were a thing until we were banned from driving for any other reason than groceries, dr. appointments, or trips to the pharmacy.  But for a while, just about every night on the news there was a story about family members driving by their loved one's homes, horns blaring, cars festooned with balloons and streamers and music blasting as their family member sat on the driveway and watched them go by.  It was very poignant to watch.  One family even hired an Elvis impersonator to stand at the end of the driveway and sing to their mother and then he handed her a gift on the end of a hockey stick.  Amazing!  
There are also a lot of videos on the internet of individuals, or families or choirs, singing songs they have written themselves..mostly parodies of pop songs with pandemic lyrics.   My favourites are the choirs where they have all sung their parts individually and then someone has put it together using software so it sounds like they are all singing together.   These ones amaze me.  Other innovations I have seen…people wearing costumes as they take their garbage out, writing messages to our front line workers or to friends and neighbours on signs or in chalk on the sidewalks and driveways.  Social media is full of suggestions for people to beat boredom, for parents to keep the kids busy and to help with their school work during this time.  

One of the most touching innovations, however, is the masks people have been making.  For various reasons…hoarding, lack of foresight, politics…our front line workers are facing desperate shortages of Personal Protective Equipment, PPE’s, especially masks. Instead of waiting for the government to get its act together, people have started making and donating masks to these heroes.   There are all kinds of patterns and tutorials on how to do this.  And now that we are being told that everyone should wear masks when they leave the house, there is a multitude of suggestions on how to make our own personal masks.   I have seen everything from plastic page protectors to bra cups, to maxi pads, to bandanas and even turtle necks used as personal face masks.  It’s absolutely amazing.   Anytime I see people doing something instead of waiting for the government I am filled with pride and admiration.   Good for you! 

And then there’s the saddest part of this whole thing.  The inequality of this virus.  They say it plays no favourites and can attack anyone no matter their age, race or economic situation.  But it does have favourites.  It loves the elderly, the poor, minorities and those that are already sick with other conditions.   Black people represent a disproportionate number of the death count.  The homeless are particularly vulnerable as well as they have no home to go to during this Just Stay Home regime.  Nursing homes are a petri dish for this virus and it can run rampant through the home in a matter of days.  

Why is it this way?  Why do the least of us suffer the most?  There are many reasons and none of them is fair, but they are reasons for just about all suffering, not just this virus.  Poor people are more likely to have underlying conditions, lack resources for medical care, lack access to medical care because of where they live, aren’t educated in hygiene and disease prevention.   Add being elderly and black on top of that and it’s a disaster.  There’s a greater proportion of poverty in the black communities, particularly in the states.   Often the poor are living in crowded conditions that lack the basic necessities like hot water, and enough good nutritious foods. Social distancing is impossible.  It breaks my heart to think of it and I wish there was something I could do to help.   I am in that same boat, being an elderly (yes, that’s what category I fit in with this disease) with pre-existing conditions that compromise my immune system.  And I am in a very low-income bracket and if it wasn’t for the kindness of Belinda I would be struggling desperately.  So I truly feel for those less fortunate.  

So in the coming weeks and months, find creative ways to cope with your situation, think outside the box, be creative…you have the time.   And every night before you go to bed say a prayer of gratitude if not for all that you have then at least for all that you have escaped. 



No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...