Saturday, April 3, 2021

B is for book




Favourite BOOK ever read


I am an avid reader so it's hard to pick my favourite book ever read because I don't remember them all ...and there are a lot.  A lot of bad ones, and a lot of good ones.  So I went to Goodreads and chose a book that I had given 5 stars.   The one I, ironically, is called The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes.   This book was an enjoyable read from start to finish and when it was over I found myself missing the characters.  

 Alice Wright marries handsome American Bennett Van Cleve hoping to escape her stifling life in England. But small-town Kentucky quickly proves equally claustrophobic, especially living alongside her overbearing father-in-law. So when a call goes out for a team of women to deliver books as part of Eleanor Roosevelt’s new traveling library, Alice signs on enthusiastically.

I loved the setting, a small town in the Kentucky mountains, with its interesting characters.  There is something for everyone in this book, romance, mystery, inspiration, violence.   There are several storylines and they are all intriguing on their own.   This novel explores the repressed roles of women and their struggle for respect and independence.  It deals with racism, corruption and domestic violence.  The characters all come into their own throughout the novel.  It's just a really good read.  Well written and a definite page turner.






No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...