Monday, April 12, 2021

I is for Idiosyncrasy or Insight

 What IDIOSYNCRASY or INSIGHT has been useful to you, either overall, or on a particular occasion?

This was a tough one.  I have lots of idiosyncrasies but I can't say that any of them have been useful to me, in fact, most of pretty annoying to other people.    For instance, I am a leg shaker.  My right leg is almost always bouncing up and down whenever I am in a social situation that involves sitting at a table.  It can be very distracting but it's almost impossible for me to stop doing it.   

I am also prone to bursting into song at any moment and I hum when I am with someone and conversation lags and there's nothing to distract me from the uncomfortable silence.  

I could go on, but I risk alienating anyone reading this.

So...INSIGHT.   I guess the biggest insight I have that helps me overall is the knowledge that most people are more concerned about what I might be thinking of them than they are thinking about me.  This helps a lot with overthinking which I am so very good at.   I have even apologized to people for something I said or did that I was worried had offended them.  And almost every time, the person has no memory of the incident.  I have learned over the years not to concern myself with what other people think of me because, as the saying goes, "those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind".   It doesn't always work, I still fret about impressing people I really like, and I can be over accommodating, but I no longer give a shit about the opinions of people not in my circle.




No comments:

P is for Pet

Your favourite PET you've had. I love cats.  I've had a lot of cats over my lifetime and they were all special and had their own uni...